Day 10 was a day off. I had contemplated going on a short 2-4 miles since my Monday run was cut short at only 1.5 miles when my headphones went out. But, I ultimately decided against it because since it's so early on, I thought it would be good to keep myself wanting more and prevent burnout. And, since Monday's schedule said 0-6 miles, then technically, I still did what I was supposed to.
Day 11 said 3-6 miles. I definitely wanted to go on the high side this time and go for 6. Aunt Jean had her last radiation on Wednesday and will be feeling really crummy for several weeks, so I wanted to push myself this extra hard this week. I didn't really have a time goal going into this run; I just wanted to push myself as hard as I could and see what it came out to. What happened next was something I didn't think was humanly possible for me and my asthma. Normally, keeping just a 10-10:30 minute mile pace is everything I can do. At the end of the 1st mile, I was at a 9:16 and couldn't believe it! However, it had been a very slight/gradual downhill for that first mile, so I just sort of gave that the credit. But then, after the 2nd mile, my pace was 9:06 - and this even included a small uphill. I thought to myself, "How is this even possible?! This has to be wrong."
Granted, my breathing was extrememly labored, but it still just didn't seem like the time could be that good. I finally accepted the sweet reality when my average pace was still in the 9:20s at the third mile, at which point I made it my goal to keep the overall pace at less than 10min/mile for the whole 6 miles - but I knew was going to be VERY hard because I was already hurting pretty badly and only halfway finished, AND the last mile was ALL uphill. So, I was going to need every bit of those lower 9 min times in the beginning to offset the inevitable slowing down that was to come.
By mile 4, I was tired and hit a few small uphills; my average pace had slowed to the 9:40s. Mile 5, my pace had climed to the low 9:50s. And I still had an entire mile all uphill to go! I wasn't sure if I could do it at this point and was scared I had set too lofty of a goal. I just kept telling myself... you have to do this, you have to at least try; Aunt Jean is hurting too!! I hunkered down & decided not to look at my watch again until it was over. Just try to zone out & forget the fact that this was going to hurt & I had to somehow find a way to do this without the help of oxygen - which had long since abandoned me. I closed my eyes, turned the ipod WAAAYY up & prayed for mercy. I finished w/ and average pace of 9:51 & finally regained normal breathing about 4 hours later, ha! It was worth every bit!!!
See Katy's blog too: http://katysfirstmarathon.blogspot.com/
Wednesday Miles: 0
Thursday Miles: 6
This Week's Miles: 11.25
Total Training Miles: 40.25
No comments:
Post a Comment