Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Days 8 & 9

Yesterday was kind of a bust.  About a mile into my run, my headphones quit working.  After frantically pressing buttons trying to get it to work, I finally realized it had been awhile since I charged my ipod battery and it was dead.  I absolutely cannot run even the slightest distance without my headphones for a couple different reasons.  First of all... without them, I count my steps, which is insanely annoying and no matter what I do or what else I try to focus on, I can't make it stop.  To make matters worse, it's not just regular counting, it's counting in 8-counts like in cheerleading/dance or aerobics class.  12345678, 2-2345678, 3-2345678, 4-2345678, 5-2345678.  Once I get to 8-2345678, it starts all over.  Mahhhhhh!  Make it stop, make it stop, make the counting gnome in my head shut the eff up!! 

Secondly, without the music to distract me, I also notice/focus a lot on my breathing.  For most people, being aware of one's breathing would be a good thing, but for me, it just makes me focus on my asthma and the discomfort.  When I can hear myself gasping and wheezing, I notice the pain more.  I'm sure everyone has experienced something similar to this.  Have you ever cut yourself and not realized it, but then the second you saw yourself bleeding, then all of sudden, the cut starts hurting?  Same basic principle - I guess that would fall under psychosomatic??

Moving on - today was such a good run that it made up for yesterday.  In fact, I think since I more or less took the previous day off that it greatly contributed to my incredible improvement today.  Many people don't realize that REST is one of the most important parts of training.  Today was my 2nd speed training, and I blew my intervals out of the water by keeping an interval pace that ranged from 8-9 minute miles!!  I did a track ladder today, where you start with 1/4 mile sprint, then 1/2 mile sprint, then 3/4 mile sprint, then work your way back down with 3/4, 1/2, 1/4.  All with 1/4 mile walk/jog in between.

Aunt Jean is in a lot of pain from the radiation and is extremely weak.  She said it felt like her insides were burned :(  There's not much of anything that can be done about it either besides pain meds and IV fluids.  And tomorrow they are going to knock her down again w/ more radiation, so it will probably get worse before it gets better.  However, the good news is... tomorrow is the LAST TREATMENT!!!  If we can just get through these next few days of hell, then it should do nothing but get a little bit better with each passing day.  As such, I really feel the need to push myself extremely hard this week since I know she's going to be pretty much miserable.  I don't know, it just feels like maybe it will somehow allow me to take on some of her struggle if I do.

See Katy's blog too: http://katysfirstmarathon.blogspot.com/2011/06/days-5-6-7.html?spref=fb

Monday Miles: 1.5
Tuesday Miles: 3.75
Miles This Week: 5.25
Total Training Miles: 34.25

No comments:

Post a Comment