This weekend I decided to just do the low end of the required 4-6 miles on saturday because I wanted to go for the high end of 5-10 miles on sunday - so Saturday was 4 miles; Sunday was 10. I can't really remember what Saturday's run was like - most likely because I am still kind of inebriated from my 10-miler this evening. Long runs do that to me quite frequently, especially today since I'm pretty sure I was low on blood sugar before even starting out. So it's a crazy combo of a runner's high and tanked glycogen levels. I should have eaten more today in prep for such a long run, but oh well.
Believe it or not, it's actually good practice for the marathon because it's forcing my body to function on energy derived from fat, as opposed to energy derived from glucose. Quick biochemistry lesson... The average human body can only store about 380 grams of glycogen, which equates to approx 18-20 miles of running. Herein lies the rub - a marathon is 26 miles, so where the heck you 'spose to pull those last 6-8 miles out of? The answer: fat stores. The other rub: The body naturally prefers glycogen as fuel (because it requires only like 10 metabolic processes, as opposed to the 20 or so required to turn fat into energy). As with anything, the more practice you have at something, the better you are at it.
Anyway, back to the 10 miler, breathing was at an all-time worst, the entire freaking run! Big fun!! I'm sure I've had instances where my asthma was acting more obnoxious that it did today, but I certainly cannot recall one at the moment. It hurts and it's sort of miserable, but at the same time, it is a part of me and the added struggle makes the battle, the journey and the victory all the more meaningful. I could; however, have done without the insanely painful stitch in my side the last 1.5 miles. But on a good note, I'm so glad my Aunt Jean had a good day yesterday. Unfortunately, the good day was just a teaser and was followed by another very weak day today. Let's hope for another good day tomorrow! :)
Katy did 10 today too - this is the longest she has ever run in her entire life - muy congrats!!!: http://katysfirstmarathon.blogspot.com/
Saturday's Miles: 4
Today's Miles: 10
Miles This Week: 30.5
Total Training Miles: 85.75
Ok, I do not understand how YOU can possibly do this! Your body DOES NOT have any FAT! How are you going to have the energy to do this? Can you connect to me somehow? THAT would be a blessing :o)
ReplyDelete